Friday, June 29, 2007

My Action Plan 2007-08--a rough draft

I think that first of all, especially for my seniors, we are going to do something with cultural literacy. What do they need to know about the world that they live in? I think that this will be a great way to generate writing topics that are relevant and vital for their education. With both of my preps (honors Eng II and DC English) I am going to have them brainstorm for ideas that they will use all year long. This can happen right away so that we don't need to repeat this part of prewriting every time we write. I am also going to put more time and effort into daily writing for myself and for my students. I want to write so that they can see my struggles and my successes, so I will often project my writing up on the board for them. I will blog so that they can respond in kind, as I do for them.

I am also going to encourage my department (and my district)to become a writing department and teachers of writing, not just for the MAP test, not just for book reviews or research papers, but for the sake of writing. This has been the biggest breakthrough for me. While management of paperwork is going to be an issue for my teachers, I think that this is an area that we can discuss through the use of portfolios (Kelly, I would like your help with this.) and grading best works chosen by students. Does any of this make sense? Maybe I will clarify when I reformulate.

Oh, and poetry--Laura and Teri and Hailey, I am inspired. While I have taught the writing of poetry, I never received the support or encouragement to spend a great deal of time on it. I can't wait to support and encourage my department to take the time to write poetry. I will use ideas from your demonstrations to show my teachers how easy it is!!!!!

And I can't wait to turn my department into teacher-researchers! I found that part of the institute so valuable, and what an example for our students. so often they see us as the instructor but not a doer. Kind of like the PE teacher who requires that students run a mile in nine minutes but can't do it himself. We need to practice what we preach--to use the forbidden cliche.

As for my own writing, I am a writer. Yea! I can say that. I may not be a good writer, but I am a progressing writer--one that will take risks and put myself out there to be blessed and pressed for better or for worse.

I will take every opportunity that the WP offers if I can! I am excited about the writing retreat in October. And will seek out National workshops to further my experience.

I am so thankful for the network of teachers that I have to help me in my endeavors to become the teacher that I know that I can be. And I plan on staying in touch with this group of TCs so that I never lose the enthusiasm that I have today.

Wow! I have a lot of plans to implement and goals to reach. And I will learn how to spell enthusiasm without asking Casey or having to use spell check.

With love and best wishes to you all!
Julie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie,

Let's connect our blogs. I need someone else out there to help me stay on task...to keep me going.

And yes..it does make sense about changing the dynamics of your department to become teachers of writing. Writing is the highest form of thinking...and our students must be able to communicate with clarity, but if we don't get that across as teachers, if all we do is make them write reports and respond to literature, we aren't making them writers. They aren't growing as writers or even as people. One of my biggest beliefs is that writing helps us develop into the human beings we see ourselves as...as the human beings we are...and as the human beings we want to become. And that's why I love working with seniors so much, because it's the perfect time in their lives to explore and develop and think about their future and their past...and we do so much of that through writing. As teachers, we have to facilitate that, coach our students into being writers.

I also found the poetry units VERY helpful and can't wait to incorporate them as well. I would caution you about the "easy" part though...I sat in a meeting this year with my admin when she said to a student "all you have to do is write, it's that easy." And I about lost my lunch. It doesn't come easy for me and I knew it didn't come easy for this kid, even with copy change and pre-writing questions...it was so hard for him to put it onto paper. I know that's one case in point, and many more students do not find writing as difficult once the safe environment is presented, but I didn't like my administrator telling my struggling student that it was "that easy."

Oh yes..JULIE..YOU are a WRITER!!! And you're students are writers too. Since I participated in the institute in 2002, I have since referred to my students as writers in the classroom...I call them writers, I say things like "...as a writer..what would you like the audience to know..." and "Good morning Writers!" and they think I'm looney.

haha...cute joke about enthusiasm!! God Bless spell checker and the kid who, because of his smart friends in 5th grade who made fun of him when he lost out in the first round of the spelling bee, wrote the program for all of us to share in the delight of spelling words write...I mean right. :)

Keri said...

Hi, Julie,

When you ask the question "What do they need to know?" I wonder if the term social justice or social action fits better than cultural literacy. Or maybe inquiry. There is a great NWP book on teaching with social action or social justice. I worry about cultural literacy because it seems to focus on a list of items that students need to know, but it doesn't consider differences. The list seems limiting and not relevant to all students. Casey has a link on here about cultural literacy somewhere.

Oh, I love your second paragraph. I'll send you some portfolio stuff.

I am so excited for your department. I want to help with teacher research! Call me.