Friday, June 29, 2007

Hayley's Plan of (In)Action

My classroom will look different in the fall because, well, I will have a different classroom! One of my own. One I am going to paint a soothing shade of taupe and stencil some of my favorite quotes and lines of poetry around in if I get a chance before August. Working environment is very, very important to me. Thanks to Barb and her award from the Turner Foundation, I will also have a SMARTboard, and I'm thinking I am really going to have to get tech-savvy ASAP. My head is swirling with ideas to incorporate literally every demo I've experienced this week into my English IV class and to use my new technology to enhance everything I do. Joann and I will be collaborating daily and plan to use all we've learned here. My interests for further participation are mostly related to poetry, creative non-ficition and eventually maybe something to do with technology if I can figure out my SMARTboard.

For now, I am looking forward to spending at least a month just hanging out with my son, puttering around my house, going to the library for story hour, letting Macauley jump off the side of my parents' pool to me ad nauseum, and having no schedule. I do enjoy being a teacher and I sincerely try to do it well, maybe even better than most, but my job is not my life at this point. I need to walk out of those doors each day, turn off my teacher voice, and be with my husband and son. Perhaps I will write some this summer, but it will likely only be for myself or to share with my students next year. Someday I might try to write some poetry for publication...who knows. When I write I am glad I did, but I am not as dedicated a writer as some of you are.

Come August, though, I will dig in and be an innovative and rejuvenated teacher at KHS--heck, I might even go in before I am required to so I can get ready for the year. I think my students will have a great time in my class and be better for knowing me somehow. Which is how I feel about all of you and the work we've done here. Please email me anytime for any reason and I wish all of you a happy and healthy year ahead. Thanks for the memories.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Hayley...neat ideas. I really like the idea about stenciling up some quotes...and we can only paint our walls maroon/white...but I think on the upper half, that's currently white right now, I'm going to stencil in quotes. Love it. Thank you.