Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Demo - continued

Sorry this is so long, but it finishes some of my ideas and responds to questions/comments from your letters. Thanks for being a great group of participants.

The process of writing from another perspective is valuable to me because I believe it is important for my students, especially where they are developmentally, to be stretched in their thinking, hopefully generating a deeper appreciation for individuals other than themselves and finding greater significance in the characteristics other than their own. Added to this is all that research indicating that journal writing in connection with any subject enhances the classroom experiences and assists students in articulating both questions and thoughts.

With all of this in mind, my true hope in doing this demo is to see similar activities like this incorporated with reading assignments. I envision students writing from certain characters’ perspectives, allowing a deeper connection with the work of literature and with the character. If coinciding with a novel, as students progress through the novel their journal entries may take on greater complexity as their appreciation for a character and his/her decisions may grow, which may in turn serve as a great resource for ideas when it comes to writing an analytical paper. If coinciding with a short story or poem, students may write journal entries elaborating upon the possible motives of characters, or develop a minor character’s view on a situation. This could then develop into a multi-genre study or response to a text, which groups of students produce as a different character in any given story, using the journal entries as the impetus for the extended written responses.Hopefully this isn’t too confusing. I really wish that I would have been able to talk more about my ideas for this concept, but I think it was important for me to have you all try this out so that I could get your responses.

I received lots of questions and comments, luckily many of which overlap, seeming, in my mind, to fall under one of the following four categories. I know its long; I apologize already.

1. Regarding the early struggles and walls encountered when writing yourself into a corner: I want all of this. This is the first time my students try this type of writing, and the floundering is part of it. As almost all of you indicated, you find your feet after a while. You shouldn’t have your center of gravity (or get it right) by simply looking at a picture and reading a blurb. Almost all of you indicated that you grew to be more of the individual as your knowledge of that individual grew. This is also what happened to my students, and I think this is what should happen.

2. Sharing prior to writing: I don’t want this. I don’t think I did a very good job of explaining the amount of front-loading that is done prior to attempting this role-taking. I wasn’t able to do any of the front-loading, other than the individual journal reading, in the demo. I imagine sharing happens, but I don’t want the students surveying the crowd and imitating; they know their own voice, they must individually explore the voice of another – not through groups. Sorry if I step on toes with this answer.

3. Sharing after writing: I didn’t have my students do this, but I am open to letting them do this after the entire journal writing is completed. I guess I still have in my mind this idea of a deeply personal experience between each student and the individual assigned. I don’t think this should be especially easy to share because of the closeness that has developed over the course of writing. I am continually surprised every day at the project how excited everyone is to immediately share what they write. Personally, I hate this part of the project, and have comfortably found myself in the corner where I can slip through the crack, enjoying listening but not desiring to share. Several of you all gave great ideas for how to share after the journal writing is complete, and I will take all of this into consideration.

4. Concerning emotional fallout: I hesitated in class, and shouldn’t have. I want this. If a student is truly going to give voice to this individual, then this should not be easy. A feeling of loss should occur. After discovering the fate of their assigned individual, most of my students either became mad or sad, while the few who survived were jubilant. This is, again, what I want. This shows me that the students’ experience of studying this material has become real, and has begun to bleed into their consciousness. This final day of journal assignments corresponds to the final day of our reading of The Diary of Anne Frank, and it is a bleak day, casting a shadow upon the mood of the students for the remainder thereof. I let the other teachers know why the students may be unresponsive, and these teachers are, thankfully, understanding. It isn’t easy to deal with loss, but there is no way to avoid it. In my classroom I face this emotional fallout the same way I faced my students’ loss of friends, siblings, and parents: I listen. I don’t avoid it, or gloss over it, I embrace it and encourage my students to embrace it, to learn from it, and to articulate that learning in a way that even the most apathetic individual cannot help but be shaken by the message.

Again, thanks for being great participants.

6 comments:

Mr. Neuburger said...

Thomas, I was very impressed with your demo. Sounds like you received a lot of feedback. Take what you can use and leave the rest. I think it's fantastic that you are doing this role switching in your class. It is nice to see you trying new things to help your students learn.

Ms. James said...

Thomas, I, too, was impressed with your demo. I loved your idea of giving the kids a progression of information leading up to the final outcome. You had a lot of questions, but that's because you had a lot of rich info. and directions you could go with this...not to infer that you had to change directions at all. It sounds like it was an effective writing assignment that had a profound effect on the kids. Bravo! (I'm still miffed about where the stuff is that I ordered for that class...but then again, you found exactly what you needed!) Good for you!

Keri said...

Hi, Thomas,

I loved the writing that we did in your demonstration. I love your enthusiasm and excitement that you have, and I bet the kids love it too.

Thanks for a great demo. Linda said she loved it too.

Unknown said...

Thomas,
Thanks for the great ideas. I like how we read journals before we wrote. I think Anne Frank is important, but the majority of the victims didn't have her experience, so I liked that you added the other journals for us to read.

The name alludes me right now, but there's one journal of a Jewish child in Salvaged Pages who led the life of "priviledge" in Lodz Ghetto...if anyone could lead a priviledged life during that time. But his father was one of the Jewish leaders chosen by the Order Police, so he often had cake and meat and potatoes and material things many of his friends did not have. Reading that journal usually gets students riled...but read in the scheme of things...some realize he had the opportunity to make the best of a bad situation. I don't know. It's interesting to watch where students take their discussion and their writing with topics such as this.

Again, thanks for the demo. It was great.

Mina Harker said...

Thomas,
You did a great job. I was certainly emotionally invested in my person. And that is the way it should be if students are going to be culturally aware of the horrors of the holocaust. I wonder what other areas of literature I could this "skin" journaling with.

Keri said...

I just had time to read all of your comments. I think it's interesting the things that you value and want out of your students--emotional investment, struggle, risk-taking. It seems so similar to what the Fellows do in the Writing Project. I think sometimes what we ask students to do is not always what we do ourselves.