Friday, June 29, 2007

JoAnn's Action Plan

My brief action plan as of Friday, June 29, the final day of our summer institute, includes:

1) Sleep enough and do nothing for long enough for my brain to process all that has been input during the last three weeks. This is not a lazy thing -- it is a necessary thing. Read "Blink" if you have any question that most of our behavior is dictated by subconscious processes that we do not control.

2) I am going to continue writing about my boys class. I have a plan for a book structure that will be a cohesive collection of separate pieces. Each piece will combine writing about classroom experiences with writing about related issues in public education today. I plan to support my commentary about schools with both research and personal experiences. I have an idea what the pieces might be, but I now believe that their exact nature will only be revealed through writing them. I have a long list of things to write about. Here's a teaser: how a kid lighting his pants on fire in class (accidentally, flicking his Bic in his pocket) was translated into "arson" (a very serious offense) by an assistant principal. There were no flames -- just a funny burning smell. . .and on and on. . .

3) As a teacher, I plan to implement virtually every DEMO into my English IV classroom next year. I have the great good fortune to have shared this experience with Hayley Fraser, my English IV collaborator for next year. I'm going to have a great "senior year," as my baby Kevin will be a senior at Kickapoo next year and I am determined to remain a happy camper for the duration. Sorry not to be more specific, but really, we will do everything and then some!

4) As for my participation with NWP and OWP as a Teacher Consultant, I am delighted at the prospect of the opportunities. Next year is probably not the year for me to dive in fully, as "senior year" is going to be my hokey-pokey for the year (that's what it's all about). I again will wait for some subconscious processing and some time to look at the NWP website before I will be able to know what I might do. I am open to suggestion and encouragement.

5) As for my demo, it has lots of pieces all rolled into one thing that is really too much for a single session. I plan to continue researching the topic of whether or not "direct modeling" of cross-sensing is a viable/effective way to go. I always enjoy the "generating writing" activities, but from my first small exposure to the writing project several years ago (thank you, Keri), I have been drawn to issues of "craft," particularly revising strategies and development of skills. I'll keep you posted. . .

That's all I have at the moment. I will continue to enjoy reflecting on this time we shared with gratitude for these three weeks, and I am not sad only because I know that the ideas and inspiration and support will continue to grow. Thanks to all!

2 comments:

Laura Burdette said...

JOANN,

My agent sent me a brief description of how to present a non fiction work to publishers. Do you have one of these? It includes an introduction, table of contents, and chapter descriptions, and stuff like that. Would you like to see it? if so email me at LBurdette@spsmail.org and I will forward it to you. I imagine that most of these plan outlines are pretty much the same, so you may already have one.

Being very attached to at-risk kids, I'd love to read what you have already written!

Laura

Unknown said...

Hope you've recovered! I think there's a great book stewing and you are the perfect person to write it. And, it doesn't shock me at all that an administrator could turn the Bic incident into a felony. :) Typical.

I'm glad you get to collaborate with Hayley this year...what an awesome team the two of you will make!!!