Friday, June 29, 2007

Julia's Action Plan

All of the presentations over the past three weeks have been incredibly insightful and inspiring. I plan to use Hayley's "Finding Images in Poetry & Finding Poetry in Images" at the very beginning of the year as an ice breaker. I will be taking on two classes of Sophomores in addition to teaching dual credit English, Speech, and coaching the Speech & Debate team, so I need all the help I can get with new writing ideas. Hayley's is one I can adapt easily to all of my classes, no matter what the age or writing level. What a great way to start the year.

I will also be ulitilzing Jason's "Music and Writing" to show my students how music can inspire them to write fiction as well as the plethora of non-fiction they have always been required to write. I am looking forward to implimenting this lesson in order to open new avenues from proficient to reluctant writers.

Thomas's presentation also opened new opportunities to explore character in real life. I loved his idea he explored in "Adding Skin: Role-taking Within Journal Writing." I have strayed away from journal writing in my English classes because I tended to turn into the task master who forced students to write, instead of just letting the process happen or even guided. Now, with the information from Thomas's demo and discussing with Casey the different approaches to journal writing, I will adapt this element in all of my classes.

As a professional, I am going to look into going to some of the national and regional conferences and I would love the opportunity to not only be a presenter, but also take on a more active role within the writing project. I need to research more about the individual conferences, however, before I commit here which ones I would like to attend. I do know I will be applying for the semi-local Write to Learn Conference.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to use Hayley's demo at the beginning of the year as well...and you are right...it is so adaptable.

I know through our discussions you really found great insight into the actual process of writing. I know you have plans to make some great changes that didn't touch on here.

Definitely try to find a place to present...especially after you rework your demo on your students...seeing what new adaptations can me made and what works and what doesn't work. And you may find an extension of someone else's idea that you've adapted for your classroom and has been completely modified...and you could present that.

Lots to do... :)

Oh...and good luck with the extra sophomore classes this year...Julie teaches sophomores, too.