Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Maybe I'm just tired. . .

I was a bit put off by the vintage photo of Julie Jensen on our reading for last night, but I quickly moved past that. I appreciated the history lesson, and it made me wonder why we are still fighting the testing versus teaching and learning battle. Then, this morning, I read in the local paper that our schools are creating a new position at each high school that will take some responsibilities from the assistant principals. Oh good, I thought, they can focus more on collaborating with their teachers. . . then I read the quote from school-board-member Bruce Renner, a former teacher, who said that this would allow the principals to do a better job "monitoring" classrooms. That word affected me like nails on a chalkboard. [It might have been "monitor" rather than "monitoring," I don't have the paper in front of me.] Maybe I just don't get it, but I don't need a monitor, thank you very much. I need a colleague who is an instructional leader, someone excited about teaching and learning with me and our students. I'm tired of walking into the building wondering what I did wrong yesterday and what new expectation will be placed on me today. Maybe I'm just tired.

5 comments:

Keri said...

I agree. Not a great picture. When I read about the people who have come before, I always wonder why we have the same issues too.

JCSatz said...

It's like change in the tip jar -- and I thought I'd try throwing the first two cents in myself :0

Keri said...

I had to stop and didn't get to comment fully. I also read that in the paper today, and I paused on the word "monitoring" as well. And also the 8,000 dollars extra for athletic supervising.

Liz Salchow said...

I feel you. (Figuratively, of course. Well, literally might be nice too.) Attitude reflects leadership, I find. It might be important for leaders to keep that in mind.

Ashlei said...

It seems that duties get in the way of teaching and learning. We need to stop that. Let's just ignore all the administrators!