Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Growing Up?



You know how when you are growing up you have all these big ideas of what the grown up world will be like and how you will do things like accompany your husband to company dinners and prepare nutritious meals for your kid and plant things in your yard? I often thought about these things when the conversation at the school lunch table was dull or crude or inane. "I can't wait to be around intelligent people when I grow up!" I would console myself.


Well the other night I did a grown up thing. I accompanied my husband to his company dinner. And the conversation was dull, crude and inane. Only this time I had nothing with which to console myself, no future times of witty banter to look forward to because this is the grown up world! There is no other level to graduate to! I am stuck in it, and it sucks.


How disappointing to find out that teenaged guys who talk about bathroom humor and pranks involving toilet seats evolve not into calm, charismatic, conversationalists, but into crude, clownish middle aged men who talk about bathroom humor and pranks involving toilet seats.


Oh, the disappointment. Oh, the humanity!And while I do occasionally feed my son tofu, I have never, not once planted something in my yard. Oh, woeful time.

6 comments:

JCSatz said...

How delightful! We need to talk. . . JoAnn Satzinger

shel said...

I loved your post! I found myself yesterday saying to myself, "I guess that was a very grown-up thing to do." Its nice to know that other people say these things to themselves on a regulas basis as well....As far as Jr. Highers growing up to be dull conversationalists....probably true to a degree....but the best part is - we get to enjoy them now, before the change...

take care

jiffeepop said...

I am hoping to begin thinking about a possible venture that may or may not take me byond the fictional universe where I have a slight chance to evolve past my gendered specific form of humor. It has been drilled , hammered, chiseled, and glued to my bpsyche since I opened my eyes. Many vain attempts to disassociate from toilet humor has only led me right back to the crapper, where I sit in my manly chains pondering new and improved ways to incorporate manly humor into every situation I find myself in.

Zak said...

Yes, please don't judge the whole male race off our majority. Ha.

tmmaerke said...

I'm sorry, but I fall into that category. Poker nite with coworkers allows the crudeness to come out, and I love it.

Unknown said...

haha. Oh Sheila. Funny. Well said.