Friday, June 15, 2007

1st Week in Review

I've gained so many new ideas about new ways to teach and write poetry, how to blog (something that was very new to me), a way to get students to love comparing and contrasting literature, and some great strategies for eliciting voice in student writing. I've also learned how cool the e-Anthology site is. I really loved the randomness of the Open Mic link and the day by day institute descpritions in A Day in the Life. Because this really is the life--a great way for educators to learn from each other. It's also been a reaffirmation of some of my most dearly held beliefs about education.

This week I was able to bring snacks on Tues., present my demo on Thurs., and to give the minutes on Friday. I LOVE that I have those things behind me. Please don't get me wrong. I loved doing those things, even getting this blank look from my husband at his computer when I told him from my computer how much fun doing a Works Cited page was. It's just that now I get to focus on other's demos and to focus more on my nightly writing.

I've got a ton of questions about writing right now. I've felt my inadequecies as a writer in lots of genres this week. I've realized how very much I can learn about being a writer and how great that will be for my students.

I like how our SWG works. Sometimes we don't have enough time for each member's writing. But, I really think it's a matter of time management more than not enough time. I think our group is respectful of each other and I appreciate the blessings and pressings that have come my way this week.

I am totally not fishing, okay? I am a reader who writes only to communicate, analyze, or critique. This institute both intimidates and inspires me--even if my writing is not exactly reflective of the latter (I'm still not fishing.).

Insights about what has made this week so successful: Casey, Janet, and Keri.

No comments: