Friday, July 11, 2008

Revolution

With my involvement in the OWP, I have undergone a terrific change. Before this program, I was stuck in my ways, stuck in my thinking. I had only been teaching for two years, but I knew what the students needed, and I thought that what I did in the classroom was the best way to meet those needs. Yet, as I became a student in the OWP, listening to and learning from so many different teachers, I sympathized with my students. I realized that while I might be a 'good' teacher, that I could improve so very much. I realized that while I could 'do' my job, that I could enjoy my job. I realized that while my students could 'do' their work, that they could enjoy their work. I realized that there was hope.

I know that in this post I am to answer a series of questions that range from 'What is the plan for your own writing?' to 'How did you develop your demonstration?' I could, and probably should, comply with the request to answer each of the questions posed to me. However, I think it would suffice to say that the Ozarks Writing Project - not the project itself but the individuals involved - has revolutionized my thinking on teaching. I am positive that had I not come, I would have faced another year of frustration, another year of threatening to leave the profession. So I am grateful to everyone who has been a part of the last four weeks. You have, in no uncertain terms, saved me, a teacher.

Now that I've said what I had to say, perhaps I should set myself to answering these blasted questions. My action plan is simple: implement as much as I can from the demonstration as often as I can. In truth, there is something from each of the demos. that I can include in my teaching, and I am sure that me and my students will be better for it. There are two overarching ideas, however, that I will most definitely institute: writer's workshop and small writing groups. Writer's workshop, although it may be difficult to begin, I believe will add so much to the way in which I teach writing. On those days in which we workshop, I finally have a forum that I understand in which I can teach mini-lessons. Additionally, I loved my small writing group, and I want to be able to establish a similar type of community for my students.

Finally, the OWP has shown me that I have something valid to say as a writer. Before reading my work aloud to variety of people, I struggled mightily with insecurity. Would anyone want to hear my writing? What would they say? Would they like it? Yet, what I found during the last four weeks was that somewhere in me is a powerful voice and that people want to listen to that voice. Thus, I have set for myself a goal: I want to write a novel. Ambitious, I know, but those involved with the OWP have given me the courage to do so.

So, once again, I am left in awe of all those who I know consider my fellows. You have, in many ways, saved me.

Thank you so much,

JR

1 comment:

Mr. Neuburger said...

Josh,
I have always admired your ability to be very clear in what you say. You are a deeply insightful person. I, on the other hand am more spontaneous and as I call it, "a shoot from the hip " kind of person. But, you have been around me enough to already know that. I realize by being this way I don't always get my points or ideas across. I would so very much like to be like you when it comes to communicating. Alas, "I am what I am" to quote Popeye.
It has been a great privilege to see you this summer. After reading your post, I was deeply moved. What you have done for me in your post is validate what I believed to be true: the OWP is a valuable resource and every teacher in the world could bebefit from a summer institute experience.
We didn't save you. You took the initiative to participate. I knew if you came what would probably happen. Teachers who believe in what they do and want to be the best they can be will always take away something from the OWP. We can thank Keri for that because not every site has the leadership she provides.
If you can, get involved with the other functions we are involved with like the writing retreats, both inside our area and outside, the Write to Learn conference in February, and other opportunities that come up.
I never doubted this [the summer institute]would be a good experience for you because it's a good experienc for any teacher seeking to be a great teacher and not satisfied with being a good teacher.
Hope to see you soon.