Friday, July 11, 2008

Action Plan of Genesis

What is your plan of action in the fall?
My first goal is to consistently have students writing informally on a daily basis (well, at least on the days I have them in class). I know that has really helped me get things going in the writing realm. Another goal is facilitate more collaborative learning/community building in my classes. I would also like to try to add some of the innovative ideas for getting students more connected with academic writing. Additionally I plan on encouraging better portfolio keeping methods with the goals of encouraging revision and reflection.

What’s your plan for your own writing?
I plan to continue to write on a daily basis in some form or another. I would like to develop and submit at least one piece of writing for publication. I may be interested in presenting at a conference and/or

How will your classroom look differently daily? Weekly? Monthly?
On the daily basis, I anticipate having more variety in our activities (since I'll now have only 90 minutes classes it seems especially essential). I plan on having students do more things together (writing groups, collaborative assignments, etc.) at least once a week. Now and then I intend for students to do more self-and peer-evaluation/reflection. There are a lot of things I plan on shifting, but time is tight so...

Discuss the process of creating your demo and what you discovered through that process. How will you incorporate your demo in the fall?
During the preparation for my demo I spent time connecting low-tech methods to blog research, brainstorming other possible activities, and agonizing over what to use for writing prompts. I plan to continue to use circular journaling and paper wads and extending the idea of Post-It posters. Ideally I could get some grants to actually use the methods to transition to cyberspace.

What kinds of student writing samples can you collect?
Paper wads, more circular journal examples, and posters. I'm sure I'll have some other things developed from other people's demos as well.

How has your writing project experience affected your plan?
In general I am far more motivated to be innovative in the classroom. You all have inspired me in a time when I most needed it! I think that due to the OWP experience I have many new ideas and extensions to better work toward the goals for my classes.

How will you use other demonstrations? Please list several demos that you saw that you will integrate into your classroom.
I don't think there is a single demo that I don't want to steal something from. I am definitely going to integrate many of the fellows' ideas into the things I already do to make the projects better for my students. Some that come to mind first:
  • blending some of the ideas/activities from Casey's and Dana's demos as an opening unit
  • using Stacy's focus on the American Dream as an overarching concept in my American Lit class
  • Keri's small writing groups and Joe's response methods/forms
  • Melissa's and Kim P.'s ideas on making research awesome
  • Chris's Parallel Poetry
  • Kim W.'s Writing Territories as a portfolio opener
  • Sarah's and Sharolette's Reading/Writing Connection ideas/prompts
  • Kathy's and Elise's innovative grammar (probably in mini-lessons)
  • Episodic fiction seems like one Nelle of an idea (thanks, Joshua)
  • Making films more useful with hints from Debbie
  • Faith's index card categorizing
  • Michelle's figurative language sorting poster

Based on our brief conversations and your new knowledge of OWP programs, what areas interest you? Who would you nominate for certain areas?
I am interested in participating with many of the events for the year (the writing retreat, Write to Learn). I like the idea of working on professional development and integrating technology (I mean, real technology - not pen and paper). Jenner seems to be a technology guru in progress. Elise seems interested in developing professional writing - perhaps the retreat is just the spot for her to be this October.

No comments: