Friday, July 11, 2008

Action Plan 2008

I have many plans for this fall. I will be teaching 7th grade reading, 8th grade communication arts, and 9th grade language arts I.
On a daily basis I plan to have my students participating in some sort of writing activity such as journaling.
-take more ownership in their writing.
-and tell them that they are writers.

On a weekly basis I plan to have my students participate in writing workshop.
-emphasize the reading/writing connection.
-add to a writing portfolio.
-participate in peer conferencing.

On a monthly basis I plan to have my students participate in writing conferences with myself.
-
On a quarterly basis I plan to have my students participate in a writing marathon.
-have students evaluate their own progress and reflect.

My classroom will look like it isn't a classroom. Ultimately, I will be a facilitator to learning rather than a "teacher." Students will be collaborating and learning from me as well as one another. If I can learn so much from them, then they should be able to learn from each other as well.
My demo is very close to my heart. I adapted it from a demonstration I saw at the literacy academy. I went back to my classroom and made my changes and used it will my students. It was the best thing we did all year. It brought us together and made my students see they could be writers. I will definitely use it again this year.
I would like to keep a writing portfolio for my students writing at all stages. This way, my students will be able to look back and reflect. I will be using something from each person's demo in my classroom. I have worked with really great teachers so I figure their best lessons will be great in my class, too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Katrina - I'm so excited for you having just finished your first institute with the writing project. Was it as fabulous as Barri and I said it would be? Barri's going to be excited to hear that you used the Monsters activity in your classroom and demo'd it at the writing project.

I told Sharolette, and I'll tell you, too, that the armadillo didn't winter at mom's house, but now she has a mink in her flower garden. Thanks to you, too, for the advice on displacing the armadillo ...

Best of luck with the change in your teaching assignment, and I'm sure I'm going to see you around the state at conferences and workshops now that you've got writing project fever.

Juanita