Thursday, June 21, 2007

My First Poem, with help from Hayley's demo

I am stepping onto the big-girl diving board and feeling some trepidation... Let me preface this post by saying that I am not an English major, so my poetry is not fully developed. Much love and thanks to Hayley, who convinced me to find my inner Dead Poet. Your demo was wonderful.

Here are two poems, one is the original, one is a reformulated version. I won't say which is which as it doesn't really matter, right? Any feedback you give would be much appreciated.



First Meeting
Two proud mothers,
one son alive,
sitting, looking at memories not his own,
memories of his father.
The other son has passed,
his life kept fresh by conversations
over old photos and pieces of paper
glued into a scrapbook.
He looks like his father.
Both mothers smile.

First Meeting
These are proud mothers
One son looks intently
All eyes on the scrapbook open,
balancing on their knees.

The scrapbook holds memories,
photos and papers
that tell the story of the son
not alive
missing from the picture.

New relationships discovered
So much to absorb
The face so familiar
His father would be so proud

One son devours the images
Snapshots of a father he never knew
Never will meet
Wants to understand.

6 comments:

Laura Burdette said...

Liz,

The first poem made me cry! I really liked it.

there are definitely a lines in the second poem that I like. One example is "the story of the son/not alive/missing from the picture."

Laura Burdette

Liz Salchow said...

Thank you, Laura! That means a lot to me coming from you. I'd love to hear your ideas more in class tomorrow.

Liz

JCSatz said...

Dear Liz:

My heart feels full, again. Both versions are moving, and I'm so glad Hayley helped you to awaken your dead poet! I like the image of devouring in the second poem. In the first, it popped into my head that the line "The other son has passed" might be "the missing son," modifying "his father." Go where your heart leads you with your revision -- your heart is true.

Unknown said...

I love the first one. Dramatically.

Mina Harker said...

Liz,
The first one is so powerful. good job!
Julie

Keri said...

I liked the second one too, but I really liked the line from the first one about the pieces of paper glued in the scrapbook.

Thank you for sharing.

Keri