Sunday, December 02, 2007

A library connection

I've scarsely had time to miss my old high school English position...but, when I heard this story I did wish, for just a moment, that I still taught Romeo and Juliet...

There is a picture book called Romeow and Drooliet...it can also be found at www.storylineonline.net where actors read picture books online (so you don't actually have to purchase the book)...it's a cute version that even kept a variation of the chorus reading at the beginning and end, the two families are the Felinis and the Barkers...

I can think of so many lessons that could center around this version...students creating their own modern versions...a discussion of audience and why Drooliet lives...adaptations...analysis of what was deleted and what was retained...good example of a multi-genre (children's book) adaptation...you can probably think of even more.

Laura Burdette

No comments: