Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Book Notes

A second grade teacher (one who has made me feel very welcome this year) stopped by the library and asked if she could help and I jokingly replied that she could work with me to write a grant that connects the library to Comm Arts and involves a Writing Marathon at the Zoo and she said YES!!

Not only did she just say yes...she has brought the other 2 second grade teachers on board. She is outlining the science MIGS that will link to the activity and I am researching books that I could order for the library related to the study of animals in various genres. Our goal is to create an anthology (maybe a digital anthology?? what do you guys think??) and have an author's party for parents in the library in the evening.

I am so excited!!! I am also interested in any feedback from you (are you out there liz? everybody?). I've found some poetry books to order focused animals, we have several non-fiction books, wanted to include a few fairy tales...

I thought about ordering digital cameras that could be used to create the photostories as one of the genres...but am I getting too complicated?

This is an idea (to write a grant) born at OWP that will hopefully coming to fruition! (Of course, there's no guarentee that we'll get the grant, but I'll give it my best effort!!!)

laura b.

3 comments:

Katiedogg said...

Oh, Laura, How cool! Have you seen that new nonfiction Owen and MZee? (I saw the utube last year with the baby hippo and the giant tortoise who mothered him...) Maybe you already have this one, but if not, check it out. YOUR SCHOOL IS SO LUCKY TO HAVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Laura,

I wonder if that second grade teacher is Ms. Fuller? She is a gem and gets things done!

I have been thinking about you as you go back to school with kiddies today. You will be great!

This is a fabulous idea! Run, run, run with it!

Also, we need to get together, yes???

Kelly

Laura Burdette said...

katiedog

Thanks...yes I own the Owen and MZee picture book because hippos are my daughter's favorite animal. I'll check to see if the library has a copy.

kelly
nope, not Ms. Fuller, although she is very cool.

yes. call me.