Monday, June 09, 2008

When I get the chance, I love reading books like The Neglected "R" because they affirm old ideas that I had and give me new ones to try in order to spice up the old classroom. I loved Barry Lane's strategies for revision especially since my department used a couple of the ones he has there with success this last year. Now I have new ones to add to our collection of peer editing strategies on index cards. Reading the comments from his previous English teachers was my favorite part because students love that. When I've told my students about my favorite comment on a paper, they look confused and then laugh. (It was one word, subtle, written across the top. As the prof handed it to me, he just snickered.) Richard Kent's article was great too, but how did his students manage to accomplish all they did in only one quarter?! His portfolio ideas helped me improve my own portfolio assessment ideas. Most of all I just love reading about all different aspects of the writing process from a variety of people in the field; they affirm what I am doing and spark new ideas. The article about digital storytelling is still percolating in my head. (My apologies to Joe for the wording here. :-) Thinking of the ideas going through a filter until my brain assimilates it all is the best way to describe it. :-)Hopefully with all of these ideas, the revolution I wanted to start in my school will be a few steps closer to students seeing education as a journey instead of a grade destination.

No comments: