Thursday, May 29, 2008

Reading the Right to Write

While I browsed the table of contents in The Right to Write this evening, exhausted from seven hours of field day and looking for tonight's inspiration to leap off the page, my nine year old daughter, who was pretending to be my professor, said, "Write a poem, Mom, and make it thick."
Thick... I'd not thought of poetry as thick... So, I took the page she offered and wrote:


POTATO SOUP
My poems
remind me of Grandma Patti's potato soup.
Unmeasured thick, chunky words ladled
into WalMart Correll.
An occasional onion, discovered too late
to be pushed to the bowl's rim.
Hints of celery, carrot,
blended words, nearly invisible
that paint images
of thick potato soup.

After writing the poem, I read the chapter titled Connections. Tomorrow, I'll write that piece.

Laura

3 comments:

Keri said...

"Make it thick"--I think that's a phrase I'll have to borrow for the future.

Sharolette said...

Your poetry was wonderful! It reminded me of poems written by Nikki Giovanni. She's one of my favorite authors. Let me share.

I Wrote A Good Omelet

I wrote a good omelet...and ate
a hot poem... after loving you

Buttoned my car...and drove my
coat home...in the rain...
after loving you


I goed on red...and stopped on
green...floating somewhere in between...
being here and being there...
after loving you


I rolled my bed...turned down
my hair...slightly
confused but...I don't care...


Laid out my teeth...and gargled my
gown...then I stood
...and laid me down...


To sleep...
after loving you


Poem written by Nikki Giovanni

Laura Burdette said...

sharolette,

I like Nikki Giovanni also, but had forgotten about that poem...thanks.