Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Orientation for Ozarks Writing Project

Most novels come with a nice, canned study guide with vocabulary, review questions and a test. This year I took a new approach to teaching The House of Dies Drear and my students responded with varied, divergent presentations that included their choice of about 15 different assignments during the novel reading.

My English as a Second Language students showed a marked improvement of comprehension and extension as a result of this educational approach.

One of my focuses for the OWP will be how neurological breakdown can be identified and compensated for by strengthening a student's strengths and weakening his or her weaknesses. Student affinities included within major units will also be explored in my research.

Loved the first day and look forward to growing as a professional educator and strengthening my own writing!

1 comment:

Laura Burdette said...

Keller,

Sounds like you've had much success with this method...lots of questions popped into my head...Were the student options for response multigenre?...what about the assignment particularly appealed to the ELL students?

I'm looking forward to learning more...

Laura