Sunday, July 01, 2007

Hell-o to all!

It's been approximately 37 hours, 23 minutes, and 18 seconds since I last wrote. Gosh, going through withdrawal? Surely not. Anyway, just want to say that tomorrow will be really different, not walking into our classroom and seeing all of the tired, but happy(??), faces.

Barb, hope that the wedding went well and that you are basking in the joy of its finality. I know I did -- two times so far.

I sorted through all of my classwork yesterday and thought "WOW!!" We really did a lot of stuff (The italicized words always appear on my "bad words" list for essays). Kudos to us and our fearless (and strong) leaders.

Have a great week. And summer.

Susan

P.S. Thank you all for your positive comments following my demonstration. You were a superb group to work with. I enjoyed watching you. I even learned some new stuff!! So those who asked if I ever get bored -- NO. My primary problem is not to come off the showoff but to let my students handle the learning/teaching. And Hayley, I am on the look out for additional locales. There was an article in yesterday's paper about Canadaville, a new housing project around New Orleans that sounded rather intriguing. Also CBS Sunday Morning had a segment on Ellis Island and the hospital attached to it. Another place to play with. I'll keep digging.

Keri, I am also digging around for local spots that fit the criteria for this project. I have, so far, come up with a slave cabin and graveyard out by Strafford. Also, my husband told me of Mindenmines, a former strip mining town/area. If anyone else knows of a provocative (you like the word, Ashlei?) locale in the Ozarks, please let me know.

P.P.S.
If my technology knowledge worked, inserted is a picture of Roth. He wrote Katiedog one time. I am working on setting him up his own blog so that he can talk to Katiedog, Dr. Cosmo, and Molly.

P.P.S.S. (Is there such an acronym?)
Larry, Thanks so much for your work on the videos. My granddaughter and I watched them this a.m. We both laughed.

Later,

Susan

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Susan...CBS Sunday morning...with Charles Osgood...is one of my TOP FIVE FAVORITES!! :) I loved that piece on Ellis Island and my mind immediately began to perculate on how I could use that info in my classroom. I was a little irritated the tattoo thing was a rerun.

Also, my "surrogate" mother, (my best friends mother whom I've dubbed my surrogate) is from Mindenmines. :) I'm sure she would love to visit with you (over the phone rather than this new-fangled Internet thing) if you would like to ask her some questions about growing up there before you began.

All these dogs...I'm going to have to start my dog blogging....we'll have our own little canine writer's club...I love how Barb identified hers as "Katie the Blog Dog."

Laura Burdette said...

Susan,

What about the River Bluff Cave that was discovered during residential excavation. I heard that there is a movement to build a Museum of Natural History in Springfield, MO. Would this be a tourist trap or meaningful preservation of history?? Could it compete with NY or Chicago. The cave was featured on the Discovery Channel. The web address is www.riverbluffcave.com , but there may not be enough information for the project...just an idea.

I am listening to a little jazz tonight and going through my own class folder; and, like you, I am amazed at the intensity of the experience. I need the rest of summer break to recover.

Hope your fourth of July is great!

Laura

Keri said...

Hi, Susan!

Mindenmines. I never heard of that. Where is it?

I'll try to brainstorm too. It was so great having you this summer. Are you fully rested now?