Friday, June 27, 2008

Grammar Absolutes

I think it was Joe, yesterday during my Image Grammar demo, who asked an excellent question about the term absolute in grammar.

The Oxford on-line dictionary says this:

9. Standing out of (the usual) grammatical relation or syntactic construction with other words, as in the ablative absolute. The absolute form of a word: that in which it is not inflected to indicate relation to other words in a sentence. Also absolute clause, comparative, construction, superlative. ¶The absolute case in English was formerly the Dative or Instrumental: it is now the Nominative.

I am sure this makes sense to all of you and this clears up Joe's question completely. :) Ha.
To me it is the "not inflected to indicate relation to other words in the sentence" that makes the most sense. I just can't articulate it. Any comments? Maybe you could explain it to me????
Kathy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I had been wondering what nominative meant. Now I know. It is an absolute. Isn't that a vodka?