Saturday, June 21, 2008

Adapted from my Saturday freewrite

It is refreshing to be back in the writing project. I feel as if I’ve been working in a vacuum. There is the adjunct’s office at OTC, but little discussion about writing ever takes place in there. Elbow wrote a paper about teachers having an environment where they can communicate together. Communication is an important aspect of my pedagogy; I need other writing teachers to discuss the aspects of writing that we bring to our classes. I like the idea of identifying myself as a writer, not just a teacher, but as a writer who shares with other writers in a community of writers. That vision was starting to slip away from me before this summer institute. The last semester was typical, both heartbreaking and rewarding, as far as my students went, but I was becoming a teacher, and I know that for me to teach in a positive environment, I need to remain a writer first and foremost. And as a writer, I need a writing community. Returning to the summer institute this year feels as if I’ve come home from a long journey. Hi guys, what’s for dinner?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Summer Institute will do more than get you by...but don't forget that there is a community of writers at OTC beyond the adjunct office (which seems to have disappeared for a while). Let us create the community we want in the halls, at lunch, or maybe over coffee on a regular basis. What do you think?

Keri said...

I was talking to a student the other day who just got a job in Lebanon. She asked me what I was doing this summer, and I started talking about the writing project. She said, "You really like doing this, don't you?"

I thought to myself, "Is it that noticeable?" Do I talk that much differently about the writing project than I do my other endeavors?

You know where my office in the basement is, and I think the Summer Institute may be one of my only chances to be around colleagues who talk about writing and teaching. So, I really need this, too!

I'm glad you are with us this summer. You were missed last summer.

Keri

Unknown said...

Haha! I loved your last line!

It does feel like home. I'm glad you are feeling that way. It really clears my head and helps me prioritize my classroom. I love it, too!