Monday, May 19, 2008

Summer Demo

Hello all : )

I'm happy to be part of the OWP, woohoo! It's a beautiful day, birds are singing, woodbees are hovering, the trees outside my house are full of jasmine-smelling white flowers, and the fish are calling siren-like. Really, I can hear them.

The demo I'm planning is a technology project using stop-motion / clay animation film-making with literature. To bring literature to life is the basic idea. I think the angle would work well with literature such as poetry and fiction, and of course drama is ready-made for the staging. A fine example of an animation can be found at wingedsandals.com . Check out "Storytime" and look at the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. There are also some clips on Youtube, but beware-- some of the "claymation" films aren't academic. One to look at is the 1985 Claymation film "The Adventures of Mark Twain."


See ya soon! : )


4 comments:

Mr. Mythology said...

I was in the OWP last year, so I guess I can comment here. This sounds like an awesome idea.

Laura Burdette said...

I agree with Zak, aka Mr. Mythology, great idea.

Two years ago, students used stop animation with G I Joe figures to create a movie about the character education word dependability as part of a multigenre presentation. According to their project journals, making the movie was extremely labor intensive.

I'm anxious to see how it works for you.

Genesis said...

That sounds like a really fun idea! I'd love to learn how to do something with claymation.

KTillery said...

I think this is a fantastic idea. A teacher that I have worked with that is also in the OWP this summer, Sharolette, did clay animation last year with her class. It was a real learning experience for the kids, and it turned out great.